Friday, December 14, 2007

The Tanzanian Experience: Part 1 – Zanzibar

Mambo!

After an amazing adventure through the friendly nation of Tanzania, I have officially returned to Cape Town, and can commence in filling you all into the details of my life. Given the length of my trip (18 days in total), I have decided to split up the two main parts of my trip into two separate blogs. Thus, karibu/welcome to Part 1 – Zanzibar.

Arriving into Dar Es Salaam, the Baghdad-esque capital of Tanzania, I joined two of my fellow companions for my journey, one Mr. Stephen Black and one Mr. Stephen Suarez. After a lovely evening at the Econolodge in Dar (a ridiculously expensive $8/night) and a well-cooked meal of chicken (which had previously been laid out on the floor of the restaurant to collect as many diseases as possible), we departed the next day for the warm sands of Zanzibar. Utilizing the means of a ferryboat, we were joined on our 2 hour ride by about 1,000 baby chickens and the Tanzanian National Soccer team (a great combo, if you have never tried it).

Although one incident stands out much more than the rest during our trip (to be told briefly), my experience in Zanzibar can be summarized as follows:

- Transport: I don’t think I have ever utilized so many different forms of transportation in my life. Mini buses (aka dalla dalla’s), taxis, enclosed pick-up trucks, construction vehicles (hitchhiking skills required for these). All packed so full of people that a 3-seat row somehow manages to fit 7 fully grown adults, 3 children, their bags and whatever else can be thrown on top (I was crossing my fingers for rainbow sprinkles). Let’s just say comfort was the name of the game here.

- Beaches/Water: If the pictures below don’t do Zanzibar justice, I do not know what does. While the water varies from about 80-90 degrees (depending on where on the island you reside), it is crystal clear blue all around, and even goes out for a mile at low tide (leaving abandoned boats and seaweed farms in its absence). Thus, if you pick the right time, you can wade out almost a mile in 1-2 foot deep water (just avoid the dark spots – more on this later).

- The People: Known for their hospitality, and overall friendliness, the people of Tanzania/Zanzibar were by far the nicest I have come across in my travels. Although there was the occasional beggar (who even was quite nice), and the 4-5 “companions” who would follow you anywhere in the city, in hopes of obtaining some sort of commission from your final destination (i.e. hotel, ferry, restaurant), for the most part, the locals were great. And when my Wazunga (aka whitey) ass spoke Swahili to them, the smiles just came in waves. Pole ni kazi!

- Activities: When not figuring out our means of transport around the island, or fighting to the death to save 500 shillings (~$0.50) off our hotel stay, pretty much all to do was lay on hammocks, soak in the African sun, eat freshly caught fish, and of course drink away at the appropriately named alcoholic beverages (e.g. Safari, Kilimanjaro). More or less, our 5 days on Zanzibar were perfectly uneventful. Until...

- The “Dark Spots”: Although conveniently 'unmentioned' by the hotel staff in fears of ruining the pristine image of Zanzibar, we soon learned that the ‘dark spots’ in the water not only contain poisonous sea urchins, but that stepping on one with full force can pretty much take anyone out of commission for a week. Thus experienced by Mr. Stephen Black, who while going for a Frisbee, managed to implant half of a now spineless sea urchin into his foot, and thus rendered himself crippled. Lesson learned = If the water is dark, it is not a good place for your foot to park (yeah, I know, I'm very talented at rhyming).

Given Steve's injury, and a conveniently-timed “African death cold” to top off his ailments, I soon learned that the remaining 12 days of my journey would be spent alone, as illness and crippledom were not good combos utilized to climb Kilimanjaro (which Steve and I had initially planned on doing). Thus, after a farewell goodbye to the Steve’s, I was off to Moshi, at the foothills of Kilimanjaro, to officially commence my first solo traveling experience through the unknown lands of Tanzania. With almost two weeks left in my trip, I had one goal in my mind: Summit the 19,340ft peak of Mt. Kilimanjaro…

Did I make it? Will I summit Kilimanjaro? Did 'Kili' have its way with me? Only time will tell (aka, until I write the next section of this blog). While I could give the easy answer now, I prefer to add some suspense. Duh duh duhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh. Thus, until next time.

Onto the pics:


Random boat on the beach of Zanzibar

I can't really tell if the water is blue? Maybe just a tad...

Low Tide... donde esta el agua?

One of our many humble abodes during our time on Zanzibar -- Fan + Mosquito Net = Luxury

Post Sea Urchin surgery

Hanging out with the "Stephanos" (aka Motley Crue and Fidel Castro)

A Colobus Monkey

"Family Portrait" - Enjoying some beverages after our tasty "floor chicken"

No comments: